Ten Questions with Kilo Brava's Kristin Bear
Meet, Kristin Bear.
She is the designer of the luxury lingerie brand, Kilo Brava, a wife and a mom to two little ones. She lives and works in Colorado creating designs that target the modern woman and features playful silhouettes in super soft fabrics. Kilo Brava, she describes, is attainable luxury. These are items that you will treasure with a price tag that won't make you sick.
The fall/holiday 2021 collection has something for everyone—from basic black bodysuits and bralettes to bold floral-patterned leisure suits. Everything from Kilo Brava blurs the lines between ready-to-wear and intimate apparel. In fact, most of the collection is too good not to wear out! If you're looking to step out of your comfort zone, this is a great line to explore. Simulated silk slip dresses with original prints and bodysuits with hand rendered embroidery are well thought out and perfectly executed—you'll want to savor your time in each style.
I doubt you need one more reason to fall in love with Kristin Bear, but I'll give it to you. She hails from Southbury, CT, and grew up in the Waterbury area before moving to New York City to attend design school. We adore the local connection we have with Kilo Brava just as much as we adore fall's high leg briefs!
It's my pleasure to introduce you to founder and designer for Kilo Brava, Kristin Bear. Read on for her answers to our ten crazy questions!
- Who is your fashion role model? I have so many! Right now it's Grace Jones and Jerry Hall. ICONS.
- What do you love the most about Kilo Brava? The freedom to design what I want is so gratifying creatively. I don't need to listen to a company with guys telling me what is or isn't sexy or a best seller. I design for women, not men.. and so far, so good!
- What's your favorite fashion movie? I LOVE the fashion in the movie "Casino" with Sharon Stone and Robert De Niro. So many GOOD outfits and inspiration.
- What did you want to be when you were growing up? A Doctor!! I went to Drexel in Philadelphia right out of high school for an accelerated undergrad pre-med program. I HATED it. Everything I "thought" I wanted to be was not what I thought it would be like. I left and took a little break at a community college doing art before I decided- OMG maybeee I could do something creative as a living (which I had never considered before although I had been very creative since a super young age). Then I applied to, and got accepted, at FIT in NYC and the rest is history! I started working as a designer immediately after graduation in New York and have been working in the industry since—as designer, senior designer, head of design etc. before taking the plunge and starting my own brand. No regrets!!
- Favorite song for a dance party? Sunset People (Donna Summer)
- Favorite ice cream flavor? Pistachio gelato! Obsessed. When I lived in Florence, I had a cone almost daily.
- What's one thing in your purse right now that you can't live without? Lipstick! Won't leave home without, ever.
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Italy!! over and over again. It's my favorite place in the world.
- Where would we find you when you're not designing and running KB? Home with my babes and husband, probably in the kitchen sipping on some wine and cooking up something yummy or trying a new recipe.
- What's your best advice for anyone reading this? Advice? hmm not sure..but something I like to live by is that "Happiness is a choice you make" Life can be so trying at times but there is so much amazingness in every moment and every day. But when you get a little down, you just gotta work a bit to find it. The gift of life is unbelievable—be happy and enjoy!